Picea Bakeshop and Restaurant Iloilo


Although the name Picea is derived from the Latin word meaning pizza, this homey restaurant is best known in Iloilo for their delectable cakes. Patrons usually go out of their way to visit the restaurant now located behind Iloilo Supermart Mandurriao Branch. We were already heading home when we accidentally spotted their colorful signage from afar and suddenly Angie got an aching for cakes. We were greeted by the friendly owners, who recommended their best sellers (unfortunately we didn't get to try the blueberry cheesecake because it was already sold out).

The prices were a little on the high end and because I wanted to eat some pasta and pizza too, so we only ordered only a few of their cakes.

Putanesca

Ok, I have to admit that I ridiculed their serving size for the pasta since we had to share it and I thought that this wasn't enough. Others at the same price range can feed up to three individuals. But after tasting it, I just had to shut my mouth and set aside my evil thoughts. You get what you pay for. If I had to cook pasta, I would cook it this way. The pasta was cooked to perfection, not too hard, not too soft, just right... And the sauce was just right for my taste. Next time I'll buy a plate just for myself...

Pizza

Next to graze my palate was the pizza. Again, its not as big as the competition, but one thing that really hit me was that the crust was not rock-hard. It was just the way that I liked it. Its just crunchy to an extent, but not teeth shattering and burnt like another restaurant's pizza, which I really despised and I swore that I'll never eat there again. And I haven't, until now...

Oreo Cheesecake

This one is a banger. The taste of oreos rush in your mouth. The consistency is also nice. It may fall short of the consistency that I prefer, but it not bad either, its just a few points below. But what I really like is that its not too sweet. I'm not really a fan of too sweet cakes since I can have a sugar rush afterward. This one hits the spot.

Black Forest

This one reminds of of my Christmas experience in the late 90's. We used to have black forest cakes then, and I felt nostalgic after taking the first bite. I also liked the fact that we each had a cherry and the texture was just right.

Strawberry Cheesecake

Unlike the strawberry cheesecakes of a newly opened bakeshop here, the strawberry is not just jam. It had strawberry bits which is a must have for this cake. This one also hits the spot just right. Not too sweet and the strawberry taste is not overpowering. My only regret is that after the meal, the owner didn't charge us for the cakes. We SHOULD have ordered more. haha(evil laugh). Put this one on your wish list, its worth it. Really worth it... I mean it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay,Vince...convince me that it's only you and Angie who pigged out at Picea! That's a lot of carbs you gobbled up there! Hehehe... Di bali, probably it ONLY happens once in a while, so, okay lang!

vince said...

hehe. Ara man dy marc kag angie tani galing kay nadugayan post, nalipat na sila sang taste, amu na ako nalang anay nagcomment. hehe. po namit ila cakes, maybe you should try some next time nga ari ka di. hehe